I struggle with this question. For me, I admit that I just don't know enough about the vaccination to make an informed decision. I worry that it was pushed through so quickly and perhaps, we just haven't studied it enough to know exactly what the possible long-term negative effects may be.
On the flip side, my youngest has asthma. How can I not vaccinate? Considering that my son is in an at-risk population for serious complications if he were to contract the H1N1 virus, am I a bad mother if I don't get him vaccinated?
I have scoured the Internet for information on both H1N1 and the vaccination. (Just today, I read a horribly disturbing story on the 60 Minutes website regarding a 15 year-old boy who is fighting for his life after recently developing the H1Ni1virus.) I've discussed the options with the boys' pediatricians and my own doctor. I have spoken to nurses, family members, and friends. My head has been spinning from all of the information, and truth be told, so much of it is contradictory. Even so, I made my decision. My boys will be getting the vaccine.
I finally came to the decision to vaccinate after a discussion with a friend. His thoughts are that he can live with himself if his son were to develop any of the horrible side effects of the vaccine. What he couldn't live with would be if his son lost his life because he chose not to vaccinate.
What are your thoughts?